From Jason Smith <...@proven-corporation.com>
Subject Re: Insert performance
Date Mon, 04 May 2009 21:29:34 GMT
Tom Nichols wrote:
> Hi, I have some questions about insert performance.
>
> I have a single CouchDB 0.9.0 node running on small EC2 instance.  I
> attached a huge EBS volume to it and mounted it where CouchDB's data
> files are stored.  I fired up about ruby scripts running inserts and
> after a weekend I only have about 30GB/ 12M rows of data...  Which
> seems small.  'top' tells me that my CPU is only about 30% utilized.
>
> Any idea what I might be doing wrong?  I pretty much just followed
> these instructions:
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Getting_started_with_Amazon_EC2

Hi, Tom.  I believe I read somewhere before that the smallest EC2
instances have a slower and/or higher-latency connection to EBS, so you
might want to consider a large instance, or maybe even a high-memory
small instance and see whether you get better "hardware" performance.

Although strangely, when googling it, the first article I found says
that their benchmarks found no difference between EBS or even the
ephemeral filesystem.

http://www.paessler.com/blog/2009/04/07/prtg-7/monitoring-cloud-performance-with-prtg-comparing-disk-speed-for-instance-stores-and-ebs-volumes-on-amazon-ec2/

On the other hand, here is a forum posting and a random benchmark
indicating that more expensive instances get better throughput:

http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/message.jspa?messageID=125197
http://blog.getasysadmin.com/2009/02/mysql-benchmarks-using-amazon-ec2.html

--
Jason Smith