From Jason Smith <>
Subject Re: Insert performance
Date Mon, 04 May 2009 21:29:34 GMT
Tom Nichols wrote:
> Hi, I have some questions about insert performance.
> I have a single CouchDB 0.9.0 node running on small EC2 instance.  I
> attached a huge EBS volume to it and mounted it where CouchDB's data
> files are stored.  I fired up about ruby scripts running inserts and
> after a weekend I only have about 30GB/ 12M rows of data...  Which
> seems small.  'top' tells me that my CPU is only about 30% utilized.
> Any idea what I might be doing wrong?  I pretty much just followed
> these instructions:

Hi, Tom.  I believe I read somewhere before that the smallest EC2
instances have a slower and/or higher-latency connection to EBS, so you
might want to consider a large instance, or maybe even a high-memory
small instance and see whether you get better "hardware" performance.

Although strangely, when googling it, the first article I found says
that their benchmarks found no difference between EBS or even the
ephemeral filesystem.

On the other hand, here is a forum posting and a random benchmark
indicating that more expensive instances get better throughput:

Jason Smith
Proven Corporation
Bangkok, Thailand

View raw message