From Justin Walgran <jwalg...@gmail.com>
Subject Moving an attachment from one document to another
Date Sat, 18 Apr 2009 16:02:18 GMT
Does couch provide a way to _atomically_ move an attachment between documents?

My proposed use case for this feature is for scanning paper documents,
then splitting them into individual couch documents afterward. Here is
a rough list of steps:

- Create a document with the ID 'newscans'
- Have a desktop application POST image files (acquired from a scanner
with a sheet feeder) to the 'newscans' document one after another as
attachments.
- To process the batch of scanned images, have the user create a new
couch document, moves a single attachment from 'newscans' to the new
document ID, then add some metadata. Wash, rinse, repeat.

So..

1) Can this be done with the existing CouchDB trunk?
2) If not...
  2a) Is there a better way?
  2b) I am an experienced programmer but an erlang noob. At what
location in the code should I start exploring in order to develop a
patch.

- Justin Walgran