From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Permissions and partial replication
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 15:39:06 GMT
2009/4/9 Alexander <alexweb@gmail.com>:
> Hi folks
>
> I'm thinking about using couchDB for the next project, but I have a few
> questions regarding the possibility to replicate docs with permissions
> respect.
> Let me to start with an example. Lets's say we have a database which holds a
> products. Each product is a document with a simple structure:
>
> Product
> {
>        "_id": 123,
>        "category":"category_id_here"
>        "name": "product1",
>        "description": "product1 description"
> }
>
> Category
> {
>        "_id": 123,
>        "name": "name"
>        "parent_id": "12"
> }
>
> Lets's say we have a category tree:
>
> brands /
>        some_brand1 /
>                Product 1
>                Product 2
>                Product 3
>        some_brand2 /
>                Product 5
>                Product 6
>                Product 7
>
> We also have a two managers: Manager1 is responsible for products in
> some_brand1 category and Manager2 is responsible for products in some_brand2
> category. Each person can manage products ONLY in his own category. Here is a
> small mockup of how we want to work.
> http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5048/couchdb.png
>
> So each manager should be able to replicate data only from his own category.
> Possible? Not possible? Will be possible in future?

You need to distinguish between read permissions and write
permissions. Currently it is possible to restrict changes to a given
document to users who are listed on that document itself. This
restriction will hold for inbound replication as well as local edits.
Outbound replication is just reading, which does not have access
control at this time.

Validation functions are applied on update, to local edits as well as
to inbound replication.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net