From Thomas Heller <i...@zilence.net>
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2009 07:15:41 GMT
Hey there,

My CouchDB Project is coming along nicely but I came about one concern
recently. While my Database is quite small at the moment (only about 500kb
in docs) I already have 7 design docs, 12 map only views, 6 map/reduce
views. Now my "concern" is when traffic picks up and "write" activity
increases that certain parts of the site will become "slow".

For example I have a Forum on the Site which uses 3 views (list categories,
list posts with last comment for each category, list comments for each
post), basic stuff and works fine right now. But since every updated/new doc
has to pass any view (when called) I fear that many "writes" to the forum
may force constant updates for other views on the site. I know its
superficial but still.

Basically what I'm asking: Does anyone have any experience how many design
docs/views per Database is a "good" value? I could move any "module" (forum,
wiki pages, etc) to its own database but that would add a little maintenance
overhead which might be totally unneeded. I expect to have about 15 design
docs with about 30 views when I'm done. Should I move each view function to
its own design doc? Like I said my Database currently has about 150 docs so
any testing I do is kinda pointless since everything will be fast enough,
guess I'll have to write some "noise" simulator which just adds documents
over time and see where it leads me.

Regards,
/thomas