From Nicholas Orr <nicholas....@zxgen.net>
Subject Re: using CouchDB for a finance manager?
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2009 03:04:01 GMT
I think that the balance should not be persistent.If you are going to show
all the transactions on the screen you can calculate the balance.
Then if a transaction is deleted it can show the updated balance.

Plus using Map/Reduce it is fairly simple for couch to give an accurate and
quick balance in the reduce part. Remember that the index is updated every
time a document is added or removed. The first time the view is created it
has to create the index, once this is done if a document is added the index
is updated by the single doc, like wise for a deletion.

Thinking out loudly (as above) there is going to be some time spent
calculating the balances all the time, however this can be optimised later
by caching smartly in the app layer. Map/Reduce is pretty powerful once you
get used to how it works. I've found it pretty neat and I've only being
using it for a few weeks.

Nick

At least if you go down this path, of non-persistent balances, you'll be
right. Work