From Nicholas Orr <nicholas....@zxgen.net>
Subject Re: using CouchDB for a finance manager?
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:29:44 GMT
I've looked into doing my own accounting app as well. Sitting with an
accountant the main thing she had an issue with, in regard to all the
products currently available, is tracking what the amount is for on each
side of the transaction.

Example, say I as an individual transfer $10K into a company I'm a director
of. On the individual side (withdraw) of the transaction info needs to be
recorded as one thing, then on the other side (deposit) different
information needs to be recorded. This whole transaction needs to exist in
both places so come tax time the account doing the work for tax can follow
everything simply.

The concept of schema-less documents now starts to shine as ideal. I have a
few other projects on the go right now and will not be getting to this one
anytime soon. Interested in what you guys come up with :)

Nick