From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Only getting "eacces" after port install on Mac OS X
Date Sun, 26 Apr 2009 00:37:24 GMT
Madoc,

You'll also want to check /opt/local/etc/couchdb/ for more ini files.
Other things you'll want to check is that the write permissions on
/opt/local/lib/couchdb actually allow writes. It should look something like:

davisp@puny:~/Desktop$ ls -ld /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb/
drwxr-xr-x 4 couchdb root 4096 2009-03-24 20:28 /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb/

Except that it'd be /opt/local instead of /usr/local for ports.

Other things to verify, can you stop the service and then just run
couchdb as root and see if it works?

HTH,
Paul Davis

Matthias Deja wrote:
> [...]
>
> thanks for the quick response. You are correct about the location of
> couchdb on Mac OS. Unfortunately, the error stays the same on my system.
>
> I ran the chown, which did not help. Also, I checked the config file
> under:
>
> /opt/local/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.couchdb.plist
> (Is there another CouchDB init file anywhere?) - This file seems to
> contain all the right paths.
>
> In order to find out if CouchDB runs under the right user, I did:
>
> <<<
> Nova:lib madoc$ ps -U couchdb
>   PID   TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
>   622   ??  SNs    0:00.20
> /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/Metadata.fr
>   626   ??  Ss     0:00.76 /opt/local/lib/erlang/erts-5.6.5/bin/beam
> -Bd -K true -- -root /opt/loca
> >>>

> Looks oky to me.
>
> I also restarted the service. But the error stays the same on my system.
>
> By the way: The CouchDB lib directory (/opt/local/var/lib/couchdb) is
> empty, except for .turd_couchdb. Shall it be this way?
>
> Thanks,
> Madoc.
>
> Am 26.04.2009 um 01:52 schrieb Paul Davis:
>
>> Madoc,
>>
>> From what you describe it sounds very much like the couchdb user is
>> unable to write to the lib directory. I'm not extensively familiar
>> with the ports version, but you'll want to make sure that the lib
>> directory is writable by the user running couchdb. I know you said
>> that you changed the owner but some things to double check:
>>
>> My guess is that the couchdb lib directory for a port installed
>> version is at /opt/local/lib/couchdb
>>
>> You need to make sure that this directory has write permissions for
>> the user running couchdb. You might want to try something like:
>>
>>    $ sudo chown -R couchdb:couchdb /opt/local/lib/couchdb
>>
>> Also, you can check the ini files for the root directory to make sure
>> that the lib direcotry is /op/local/lib/couchdb if things are still
>> broken. Also, you can double check that the beam process is running as
>> the couchdb user with top.
>>
>> Other than that, I haven't got many pointers, but seeing as couchdb
>> starts and you can visit futon this definitely sounds like a weird
>> permissions error.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Paul Davis
>>
>> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Matthias Deja <madocdoyu@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I installed CouchDB just a few minutes ago on my MacOS X 10.5
>>> system. As
>>> documented in the CouchDB Wiki, I used "port" to install CouchDB.
>>>
>>> CouchDB is started, and I can use Futon on my web browser. However,
>>> on all
>>> tests from the test suite and when trying to create a database, I
>>> get an
>>> "eacces" error message.
>>>
>>> Probably the error is simple to solve, but I do not know how. Please
>>> me. I already tried rebooting (no manual starting of CouchDB was