From Nils Breunese <n.breun...@vpro.nl>
Subject Re: error running couch 0.9
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:19:26 GMT
Paul Davis wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Peter Hsu <phsu@abaca.com> wrote:
>> I got a couple of traces like that... they all looked the same.  Couldn't
>> get any other tracebacks.  Any other ideas?  About to move on to a
>> newer OS,
>> though I am severely disappointed by this one.
>
> Other than adding a debug statement in the second definition of
> couch_os_process:terminate/2 when Port is not nil and writing out that
> its being closed and the reason I got nothing. Reading through the
> couch_query_servers.erl I don't see anywhere that couch would be
> proactively closing the process which jives with my memory of the
> situation.
>
> Perhaps the EPIPE is a red herring and something else is getting whacked?
>
> If you're looking for suggestions, Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10 is definitely
> at the top of my list.

I succesfully installed CouchDB 0.9.0 on RHEL 5.3 this morning. I
installed all dependencies through yum and it's working fine. I added
the EPEL [0] repository for Erlang and SpiderMonkey. Apparently EPEL for
RHEL/CentOS 4 doesn't have SpiderMonkey though, and it only has Erlang
R11B. EPEL for RHEL/CentOS 5 does have Erlang R12B and SpiderMonkey
1.7.0 available.

Maybe you can request SpiderMonkey and a newer Erlang through Red Hat's
Bugzilla (file under EPEL), but there might be reasons (dependencies)
why SpiderMonkey is not available for RHEL 4.

Anyway, just wanted to say that CouchDB 0.9.0 works fine on RHEL 5. The
CouchDB README doesn't have any Red Hat-specific instructions at the
moment (some things are different), but I plan on contributing my notes
after some cleaning up.

Nils Breunese.