From Jason Smith <...@proven-corporation.com>
Subject Re: Suggestions on View performance optimization/improvement
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 17:55:09 GMT
Paul Davis wrote:
> That said, the best way to find out would be to measure. I don't think
> I've seen numbers on this yet so anything you can show would be
> definitely be valuable information. Especially if you can demonstrate
> the trade offs between emit(key, doc); vs emit(key, null) &
> include_docs=True

That's an interesting challenge ("task," not "dare").  Feeling satisfied
with my "Getting started on Amazon EC2" page, I've been thinking about
building a system where people could easily set up a cluster for
benchmarking.

If the instructions and configuration were on the wiki, one could set up
his or her own cluster of 5 dual-core systems (e.g. four servers, one
torture tester) which could run for an hour and report the results.
That would set you back US $2.00, or a bit extra for the block devices,
which are rumored to have gigabit throughput to the servers.

(Mmmmmmmm.)

--
Jason Smith
Proven Corporation