From Wojciech Kaczmarek <>
Subject Re: The sum function (used in reduce)
Date Sat, 25 Apr 2009 18:58:47 GMT
On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 20:15, Paul Davis <> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Chris Anderson <> wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Wojciech Kaczmarek
>> <> wrote:
>>> Now I see similar questions emerged. So my point is now: Is there a
>>> way, existing or planned, to share some functions between views
>>> without using couchapp macros?
>> No such plans. The functions are stored according to a hash of their
>> byte representation, so it's important that the function doesn't load
>> any additional code, changing its behavior without changing its
>> byte-string. Hence the use-case for something like CouchApp.
> The reason for the hashing is that we need to know when the function
> changes to know when to reindex documents. Storing library code
> somewhere ends up making this a bit more complicated. I wouldn't call
> it out of the question to have something, but I don't think its on
> anyone's agenda as things like CouchApp alleviate most of the need for
> it.

I see. This is quite clever hack. I like its simplicity (Couchdb
shines this way in other aspects as well, so kudos to all implementors
So the result of CouchApp push are just injected code chunks, right?
What about code size for really complicated macro sets, is it
irrelevant in practice?

View raw message