From James Marca <jma...@translab.its.uci.edu>
Subject how much stuff can one stuff into a CouchDB?
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 22:11:38 GMT
Hi All,

On the Wiki, the FAQ says:
Q: How Much Stuff can I Store in CouchDB?
A: With node partitioning, virtually unlimited. For a single database
   instance, the practical scaling limits aren't yet known.

Is there some more recent guidance on this?  I read the wiki pages
"Configuring distributed systems", "Partitioning proposal", and "HTTP
Bulk Document API", but as far as I tell, node partitioning isn't
implemented yet (right? things are moving really fast around here!).
I have about 70G of gzipped files (about 3,000 files) that I need to
unzip. convert to json, and store.  Unzipping explodes each file by
about a factor of 7.  I expect that adding the JSON structure will
increase the data size even more.  I read in an earlier posting that
compacting the database will compress it back down significantly, but
still, that's a big database file.

I also have the option to break up the data into 9 logical chunks, but
if I don't have to do it, I'd rather not.

Anybody have any advice or experience with really big databases?

Regards,
James
--
James E. Marca