From Alexander <alex...@gmail.com>
Subject Permissions and partial replication
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 13:32:03 GMT
Hi folks

I'm thinking about using couchDB for the next project, but I have a few
questions regarding the possibility to replicate docs with permissions
respect.
Let me to start with an example. Lets's say we have a database which holds a
products. Each product is a document with a simple structure:

Product
{
	"_id": 123,
	"category":"category_id_here"
	"name": "product1",
	"description": "product1 description"
}

Category
{
	"_id": 123,
	"name": "name"
	"parent_id": "12"
}

Lets's say we have a category tree:

brands /
	some_brand1 /
		Product 1
		Product 2
		Product 3
	some_brand2 /
		Product 5
		Product 6
		Product 7

We also have a two managers: Manager1 is responsible for products in
some_brand1 category and Manager2 is responsible for products in some_brand2
category. Each person can manage products ONLY in his own category. Here is a
small mockup of how we want to work.
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5048/couchdb.png

So each manager should be able to replicate data only from his own category.
Possible? Not possible? Will be possible in future?