From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Reduce Assumptions
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2009 15:00:55 GMT
On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 07:46:37AM -0700, Adam Wolff wrote:
> I'm still not quite clear on
> the meaning of this:
> "reduce functions should not grow its output larger than log(n) where n is
> the number of input rows"
>
> How is the size of the output measured? length of the JSON string? are
> the input rows
> the size of the value emitted by the map?

I don't know the details - I just copy-pasted that from the wiki.

> Does this mean it's wrong to
> have an entry in
> your reduce output for every map key?

I believe that's the case.

The reduce output forms a tree overlaid onto the document Btree: each Btree
node contains N documents plus a single reduce value from those N documents.
The Btree could be multiple levels deep, and you don't want to end up with a
single enormous value in the root node. But I don't know what that actual
size limit is.

Regards,

Brian.