From David Reid <dr...@dreid.org>
Subject Re: Chance of including CouchDB in Linux distros or desktops?
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2009 23:51:30 GMT
Since this thread has veered wildly off course I'm going to just respond to
Jason here.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Jason Smith <jhs@proven-corporation.com>wrote:

> Hi, all.  I had a thought the other day and wanted to share:
>
> What are the chances that the free software movers and shakers could
> successfully lobby CouchDB to be included in the Freedesktop.org system?
>
> Consider DBus, which is a mandatory component of Linux (actually,
> Freedesktop) desktops, is now understood by all developers, leading to more
> and more apps talking to each other over DBus.  I suggest that having a
> document DB built in to all Linux desktops would be true innovation for
> Linux development (especially since the GNOME pundits want to move to
> "web-aware" desktops).

I reject the notion that any (much less all) developers understand DBus.

> If there is any chance in Hell that it could gain traction (I'm
> enthusiastic but skeptical--IMHO "Linux desktop innovation" is a myth, but I
> digress), I'd definitely volunteer to write code, as I have relevant
> experience.  I'm thinking of two components:
>
> 1. Similar to DBus, you have one CouchDB process per user that runs when he
> logs on and exits when he logs out.  (Maybe have a system-wide CouchDB too
> but I'm not sure if there is a need.)

Now that I've said that, I like the idea.  Having a single common API for
getting at all the data I put into gnome applications would be great.
Having that be something that I can also use on non-linux platforms is also
a great idea.  I don't think the whole thing is very likely to happen but I
would love it if it did.

> 2. (I'm surprised this doesn't exist already) A DBus CouchDB client API, so
> that nobody has to learn or use HTTP in their code, just the well-known
> DBus.

... having a DBus couchdb API is a TERRIBLE idea.  It's right up there with
building an XML-RPC or SOAP bridge to CouchDB.  I promise you that a great
deal more people understand HTTP than DBus.

-David