From Adam Wolff <awo...@gmail.com>
Subject couchdb view performance
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:36:10 GMT
Hi everyone,
We are running an alpha version of our software against a couchdb instance
with a handful of documents, and we're seeing response times from our views
of ~500ms. This is measured both within our application, and hitting the
view directly using firebug+firefox.
The view I'm talking about matches about 5 documents and returns about 9K of
data. I'm running:
Apache CouchDB 0.8.1-incubating (LogLevel=info)
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.6.5 [source] [async-threads:0] [hipe]
[kernel-poll:false]

This is all running on my MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo with 3GB of RAM.

By logging, I can see that my reduce function is running every time I access
the view. The response time is about the same whether I've committed a new
version of one of the documents in the view or not. This surprised me, since
I thought that view results were cached. I've also tried logging the amount
of time actually spent *in* my reduce function, but that appears to be
negligible.

I am seeing some very fast responses from couchdb, for straight resource
access -- on order 10ms. But all of my views are relatively slow -- even
ones that don't have a reduce step.

So, I'm wondering if I have a bad version, or bad config, or if this is
expected performance. I'm sure things are running faster in trunk, but I
want to get a feel for what kind of performance I can expect from a view
with a fairly complicated reduce step.

Thanks in advance for any advice,