From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Naming/branding/forking
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 00:44:19 GMT
On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Antony Blakey <antony.blakey@gmail.com> wrote:

> Firstly, are we correct in our assumptions about 'the CouchDB product' with
> universally consistent (i.e. not configurable) semantics being 'the plan'?
> What are other people's thoughts/advice about these issues?

I can't speak for anyone else, but yes I tend to think of CouchDB as a
product, much like MySQL or Apache's httpd server.

I also sometimes think of it as a protocol. Eg if someone were to
write a bundle of Ruby scripts that wrap Tokyo Cabinet or Hadoop, such
that they passed the CouchDB test-suite, I'd be inclined to call that
a CouchDB implementation or maybe CouchDB-compatible. The key thing
here is that it'd be able to pass as a CouchDB node, both to other
CouchDB nodes during replication, and to HTTP clients.

If one were to use couch_btree and mochiweb to make a JSON store that
is very Couch-like but doesn't pass the CouchDB tests or replicate
with CouchDB nodes, I'd consider it to be a different product, and I
think it would be misleading to call it CouchDB.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com