From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [user] Obtaining unique values from a view
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2009 02:28:30 GMT
On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Wout Mertens <wmertens@cisco.com> wrote:
> Would the problem be alleviated if you could specify for views that couch
> should not reduce past the group level? In other words, only calculate
> what's needed for views with group=true?

Sort of. Essentially this would require an entirely different
map/reduce implementation. It would probably only provide reductions
at the group level (like Hadoop reduce). CouchDB is open to /
interested in alternate view engines, and something like this could
probably be created in a not-to-overwhelming amount of Erlang, on top
of CouchDB's btree storage engine. Patches welcome! (Also, there are
some patches floating around - once 0.9.0 is off our plate we'll
probably have more spare cycles available for evaluating/consolidating
them.)

Chris

--
Chris Anderson