From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why sequential document ids? [was: Re: What's the speed(performance) of couchdb?]
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 23:19:44 GMT
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Antony Blakey <antony.blakey@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess it's a tradeoff between wanting a distributed overview and wanting
> global anonymity. Maybe that's a valid configuration option, rather than
> being policy.

It's an information leak if you can tell the originating node because
of the uuid. If we want an option to flag docs with information about
the originating node, we should add that. Also, the doc.id isn't the
right place for this, as what you want to know is the origination of
updates, not documents.

UUIDs that are consistent per-node are bad not just because you could
trace the node. There is even information leakage if you can tell that
a set of documents originated on the same node.

"Oh, the person who's participating in opposition-party discussions is
the person who filed these taxes."

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com