From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSONQuery
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:07:35 GMT
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:59 AM, Dean Landolt <dean@deanlandolt.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 07:43:16AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>> > Haven't we discussed this before? Or am I just getting a weird déjà vu?
>>
>> Well, we've certainly discussed JSON paths, JSON queries, and JSON diffs.
>>
>> I didn't think this specific suggestion has come up before, apologies.
>>
>> I still think this is low hanging RFC fruit. Heh
>

> We had discussed JSONPath, which at first glance this is, but it looks like
> they cleaned it up quite a bit. It's even got pythonic list slices so this
> is definitely *not* javascript -- it's just that the reference
> implementation is in js, and that's the only implementation...for now.
>
> Looking at the new spec, I've already implemented half of this in python --
> I'd be happy to take it all the way if this would help formalize path
> semantics in couch.

If its done in JS its probably done in Python [1] (shameless plug).
The bigger issue is how to get an Erlang implementation. I mentioned
to Jan about trying to link spidermonkey directly into the Erlang VM.
He said some guys have tried and it ended in abandonment because JS
was too unstable. Though it does sound like a fun experiment.

HTH,
Paul Davis

[1] http://github.com/davisp/python-spidermonkey