From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Chance of including CouchDB in Linux distros or desktops?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 13:50:22 GMT

On 5 Mar 2009, at 14:31, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 01:15:18PM +0100, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> On 5 Mar 2009, at 09:31, Jason Smith wrote:
>>> What are the chances that the free software movers and shakers could
>>> successfully lobby CouchDB to be included in the Freedesktop.org
>>> system?
>>
>> "A couch on every desktop" sounds like a worthy cause and I think it
>> makes sense to spend time on this :)
>
> Come on, let's not make the common mistake of getting distracted
> with technology
> for technology's sake. I would like to see a detailed use case for
> having a
> standard CouchDB database available. What actual problem would this
> solve?

Imagine an Address Book application that doesn't suck (at syncing with
other
devices (mobiles, PDAs) and machines). In fact, imagine a desktop
environment
where all user-data can be syndicated to different endpoints without
much hassle.
Boy would I like to see browser history syncing without going through
"The Cloud".

Yes, some solutions to these problems exist, but a generic, cross
platform
abstraction is missing and CouchDB could be decent technological
foundation.

Cheers
Jan