From Jason Davies <ja...@jasondavies.com>
Subject Re: Use couchdb as the data store for real-time chat room
Date Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:57:01 GMT
Hi Howard,

On 14 Mar 2009, at 10:20, howard chen wrote:

> 1. I know couchdb is good for simple key-value query, but is couchdb
> fast for range requests ? E.g. I want to get all message in between
> Add_Time -  Last_Time? How does it compare with MySQL range query on

Yes, CouchDB is extremely fast for range requests.  In fact, this is
CouchDB's sweet spot.  Essentially, CouchDB's views allow you to
create a B-Tree index (mapping keys to values) and then retrieve
values from a range of keys (in a linear keyspace) very quickly.
So, this would be ideal for range requests on documents indexed by
time, like in your case.  I don't know how comparable such queries are
with an equivalent on a MySQL index, but it would certainly be
comparable, and CouchDB gives you a lot more for free (flexible
schema, replication and in general designed for high scalability) so I
would recommend giving it a try.

> 2. Is Memcached useless if I am using couchdb?

I'm guessing memcached would still be useful as a caching layer to
squeeze that extra bit of speed if you have the RAM, but maybe someone
else can speak from experience.

--
Jason Davies

www.jasondavies.com