From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Naming/branding/forking
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 01:14:30 GMT
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Antony Blakey <antony.blakey@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/03/2009, at 11:14 AM, Chris Anderson wrote:
>
>> If one were to use couch_btree and mochiweb to make a JSON store that
>> is very Couch-like but doesn't pass the CouchDB tests or replicate
>> with CouchDB nodes, I'd consider it to be a different product, and I
>> think it would be misleading to call it CouchDB.
>
> This accords with our thinking. What would you say if it were purely a
> matter of the bulk-op semantics?

Whatever. I would opt for the safe side and stick to the Apache
license and its spirit. While you try and convince the community to
integrate $FEATURE, if you need it for your project, just do what you
need to do, release what you want to release and:

1. don't call it CouchDB, as the license won't allow you to do that

2. provide, as required by the license, proper attribution in whatever
credit/notice mechanism you might have set up ("this product is based
on CouchDB")

No hard feelings on this side, BTW - that's absolutely in line with
what Apache is about.

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Sourcesense, making sense of Open Source: http://www.sourcesense.com