From Dean Landolt <d...@deanlandolt.com>
Subject Re: JSONQuery
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:00:50 GMT
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Robert Newson <robert.newson@gmail.com>wrote:

> fwiw: it might make a more natural query language into couchdb-lucene
> than Lucene's default query syntax. Not all of it applies, but there's
> some decent overlap.
>
> B.
>
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Dean Landolt <dean@deanlandolt.com>
> wrote:

> in
> less
> helpful
> >>>

> >> Everyone in this thread seems to know where/how JSONPath would fit into
> >> CouchDB, but I have no idea :)
> >>
> >> What would this be useful for?
> >

> > One way -- retrieving doc fragments. Another -- for json-based
> configuration
> > of fti, rather than having to interpret js functions via rhino or
> > python-spidermonkey (no offense Paul -- that's still a kickass project
> ;).
> > There are probably quite a few others that will shake out -- but having
> an
> > agreed-upon way to reference portions of a doc (or a view) should prove
> > useful.

And one more use -- if and when alternate view engines land, many of them
will benefit from this. I know it's not a goal to make couch more *
relational*, but I can forsee some external indexing that will help solve a
lot of problems couch just can't solve (efficiently) on its own.

I've started experimenting with dropping couch on top of an xml db (monetdb
in this case). I know, I know -- xml...eww...but I work for an xml shop, so
what can i do? I'm finishing up a long project to build a restful data store
on top of MarkLogic -- it's a beautiful but obscenely expensive piece of
software, and I'd love to be able to kick them to the curb. Couch is a
natural fit out of the box, but there are a lot of relational operations we
have to support that couch can't (and shouldn't) do. With a little
alternative indexing we can fix this, and I think JSONQuery will help get me
there, so I'm a little biased :)