From Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com>
Subject Re: Peer to peer replication
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 07:07:47 GMT

On Mar 7, 2009, at 2:21 AM, David Van Couvering wrote:

> Hm.  I am concerned that your Average Joe does not like the idea of
> opening
> up their HTTP port, and probably doesn't know how to.  Folks used to
> hacking
> with BitTorrent maybe, but that's not the target user I was really
> considering.

'HTTP port' really just means the port that CouchDB listens on. That's
not port 80; it could be anything you like. Opening up a port is a
necessity for P2P apps, where there isn't a central server available
for everyone to rendezvous through. Fortunately this can often be done
automatically by using the UPnP or NAT-PMP protocols to request a port
mapping from the router. For example, the BitTorrent clients I've used
all do this automatically, so I didn't even have to think about the
issue.

IIRC, there is a page on the wiki that describes running CouchDB
through an SSH tunnel, which would add more security. I think this
would be a good idea for any P2P usage.

(BTW, could someone describe how the replication protocol works? It's
over HTTP, but what kind of requests is it sending and what sort of
data? Does the pulling server just issue a request for 'every document
whose sequence number is greater than the largest sequence number I
got last time we synced'?)

—Jens