From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Dirk-Willem.van.Gu...@bbc.co.uk>
Subject Re: Proposal for digital signatures of documents
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 09:46:25 GMT
Jason Smith wrote:
> Noah Slater wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:42:10PM -0800, Chris Anderson wrote:
>>> The overall picture here is not getting it right but rather having
>>> running code.

>> I absolutely disagree, but that's just how I roll.

>> It seems the goal here was to collaboratively develop a standard
>> for interop between developers in the community. Opening that up to
>> the CouchDB community is great, but it's not enough. If this is
>> something that I'm going to care about, I need to see it opened up
>> to the entire engineering community, and focusing our efforts
>> around an RFC is exactly the way to do that.

..cut..

> I agree with Noah in principle, but the low chance of receiving an IETF
> RFC blessing discourages me from investing my own time into pursuing that.

You may want to try - and be positively surprised.

The IETF has just about the lowest barrier to entry of any standards
organisation and is very efficient at supporting community efforts which
are backed by running code.

Simply tart by writing a normal internet draft and submit. I'll be happy
to guide anyone through the motions.

Thanks,

Dw

http://www.bbc.co.uk/
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are
not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify
the sender immediately.