From Jason Smith <...@proven-corporation.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for digital signatures of documents
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 09:39:32 GMT
Noah Slater wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 08:42:10PM -0800, Chris Anderson wrote:
>> The overall picture here is not getting it right but rather having running code.
>
> I absolutely disagree, but that's just how I roll.
>
> It seems the goal here was to collaboratively develop a standard for interop
> between developers in the community. Opening that up to the CouchDB community is
> great, but it's not enough. If this is something that I'm going to care about, I
> need to see it opened up to the entire engineering community, and focusing our
> efforts around an RFC is exactly the way to do that.

Hell, why stop there?  Send it to the United Nations.  Or the United
Federation of Planets.

I agree with Noah in principle, but the low chance of receiving an IETF
RFC blessing discourages me from investing my own time into pursuing that.

Earlier, someone called this middle-ware and I like that idea.  It seems
improper to be in CouchDB itself.  Perhaps it could be an external
process, or as another HTTP service (either an intelligent CouchDB proxy
or just a separate tool that depends on couch).  Since developers of all
languages would likely want this, it doesn't make sense to do it as e.g.
a Python library.

--
Jason Smith
Proven Corporation