From Anand Chitipothu <anandol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: view indexer in running again and again
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 04:59:05 GMT
> thanks for your report! Are you on the latest CouchDB trunk and
> latest Erlang (R12B-4 or -5)? Can you provide a script we can run
> that demonstrates the behaviour?

I figured out what caused this problem.

There was some problem with my view code and it was raising
exceptions. I wasn't looking at the output of view queries as I was
only interested in benchmarking the performance. Here is my
observation:

When the view code has error, the view indexer is run on first access
to the view after starting couchdb.

To re-produce:

* create a db with some documents.
* add view with the following map function (it produces exceptions in
view computation):

            "map": "function(doc) { x; }"

* query the view:  view indexer is executed
* query the view again: view indexer is not executed
* restart couchdb
* query the view again: view indexer is executed

I'm slightly confused with the terminology. There is a code to compute
the view, there is a view file stored on disk, there is a process to
compute the view and there is url to query to the view. How should I
call each one of this?

Anand