From Wout Mertens <wout.mert...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: using couchdb for 100GB geodata from openstreetmap
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:08:47 GMT
How about this:

1. Create view functions that map coordinates in square cells that
contain "not too many" results, create an X,Y and Y,X index

2. Create reduce functions that count number of items in those cells

3. Now query for everything in a rectangle or square by asking an
_external process

4. The _external process does local queries.
4a. First it finds out if there's less results when querying on X or
on Y by getting the count
4b. Then for the selected range (let's say X), query [startX
+i,startY...endY] where i goes from 0 to endX-startX
4c. Filters out the types of documents that are requested and returns
them.

If there's not too many types you can make X,Y views per type.

Is that naive? As long as the cells are not too large and not too
small, you wouldn't be processing much more documents than you would
actually need to process and using an _external process keeps the back-
and-forth view traffic very local.

Wout.