From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Chance of including CouchDB in Linux distros or desktops?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 22:26:08 GMT

On 5 Mar 2009, at 18:56, Brian Candler wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 03:31:43PM +0000, Alan Bell wrote:
>> Noah Slater wrote:
>>> What actual problem would this solve?
>>>
>> well I think that is the discussion point. It certainly raises a few
>> interesting thoughts. One of the suggestions was a couchdb process
>> per
>> user. Not quite sure about this one, sounds like it might not scale
>> well
>> with multiple users. One database per user might well be handy. It
>> could
>> perhaps replace the gconf database.
>>
>> If it could do everything for a user, perhaps even with a FUSE
>> filesystem pointing at the users database mounted at /home/user
>> then the
>> replication between machines would be quite cool, particularly for
>> laptops.
>
> This is all future-talk.

This is what this thread is about.

> Until couchdb has some half-decent way of resolving conflicts -
> either a
> front-end for doing it manually (such as in futon) and/or via
> application-specific programmatic rules - it doesn't cut. As far as
> the user
> is concerned, updated documents vanish at random.

Sorry, but WTF? This is bollocks :)

> For now I will stick with unison, which at least tells me there are
> files
> with conflicting updates and leaves the state at both ends unchanged.

CouchDB sets _conflics = [list of conflicting revs] in a conflicting doc
and a map-only-view gives you a list of all conflicting docs and the
app can easily resolve them.

> IMO it's also a long way before couchdb becomes stable enough to
> become an
> integral part of the desktop (by "stable" I mean "not constantly
> changing",
> rather than "working properly")

Oh hey, can I get a few more JIRA's from you? Also, CouchDB has
been labelled alpha ver clearly. A in-flux API does not mean integration
into a desktop system can be *started* to be talked about.

For that matter, nobody should use CouchDB in the current state, yet
some have done so since the 0.7. releases (which ran till ~Dec 2008 and
are now on 0.8)

Sorry if that sounds cranky, but nobody said "CouchDB will make desktops
more awesome today and immediately". It was a request for discussion.

Cheers
Jan