From Ben Hood <0x6e6...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Temporal data
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 18:42:15 GMT
Jason,

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Jason Smith <jhs@proven-corporation.com> wrote:
>> I am only interested in being able to retrieve an
>> arbitrary snapshot so that the application can either compute it's own
>> diff or just run queries against historical data.
>
> Yes at the moment I would probably be doing that with Linux LVM snapshots
> and juggling lots of couch processes to run off the various mountpoints,
> which I agree is hardly ideal.

I don't quite follow - if you were able to mount a particular snapshot
- why couldn't you just have one particular couch process build a view
only for that snapshot? I'm presuming that the snapshot queries are
initiated by one particular user and hence need not be globally
visible. For example, if one user wants to view an old snapshot, I
wouldn't expect this to overwrite every other users' view of the
database.

Ben