From Ben Hood <0x6e6...@gmail.com>
Subject Temporal data
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 02:22:02 GMT
Hi,

(Forgive me if this has been discussed at length already and my
googling did not pick it up).

I'm interested in how Couch could be used to store temporal data.

I guess this question boils down to whether you can turn it into a time machine.

As I see it, you could approach the problem by:

1. Making regular snapshots (e.g. daily) and just compare 2 points in time;
2. Implement some kind of version control as part of the document metadata;

Option 1 seems to be related this remark about piggybacking off ZFS
snapshots (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/121599/couchdb-backups-and-cloneing-the-database/395392#395392).

I was wondering wether you get Couch to navigate to an arbitrary
snapshot that you could load from the filesystem.

Option 2 is more fine grained and allows different semantics, but I
don't know how scalable this would be - I don't know if you could just
naively store historical deltas within a document.

Has anybody had any experience with this all?

Thx,

Ben