From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Peer to peer replication
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 11:01:14 GMT
On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 01:58:27AM -0800, David Van Couvering wrote:
> Hi, all.  I've been chewing on the uses of CouchDB, and it seems it could be
> very useful for peer-to-peer document sharing between *individuals* - a
> community of collaborators on the web.
>
> For example, a community wants to collaborate on a set of documents, but
> would rather not have to go through setting up some kind of web site.  They
> just want to set up a folder that each member sees on their local machine
> and then have this folder be shared amongst the community.
>
> CouchDB seems very close to being the perfect technology for this.  But I do
> have some questions... (and potentially more as I chew on this further).
>
> - What protocol is used for replication across nodes?  I'm assuming it's
> HTTP but just checking.  In a peer-to-peer system, this sounds like it means
> that each participant has to open up their HTTP port for replication to
> work.  Is that correct?
>
> - A community collaborating on a document would probably like to be able to
> view older versions, view differences between versions, revert to older
> versions, etc.

In my opinion (which doesn't count for much here :-), git is what you want
for this.

- git gives you full history
- git gives you diffs
- git gives you merge
- git gives you compressed replication using diffs

and you get all these today, for text documents anyway. If you wanted to be
able to merge changes between (say) Word documents, you'd need to implement
your own merge function.