From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Chance of including CouchDB in Linux distros or desktops?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 17:56:33 GMT
On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 03:31:43PM +0000, Alan Bell wrote:
> Noah Slater wrote:
>>  What actual problem would this solve?
>>
> well I think that is the discussion point. It certainly raises a few
> interesting thoughts. One of the suggestions was a couchdb process per
> user. Not quite sure about this one, sounds like it might not scale well
> with multiple users. One database per user might well be handy. It could
> perhaps replace the gconf database.
>
> If it could do everything for a user, perhaps even with a FUSE
> filesystem pointing at the users database mounted at /home/user then the
> replication between machines would be quite cool, particularly for
> laptops.

This is all future-talk.

Until couchdb has some half-decent way of resolving conflicts - either a
front-end for doing it manually (such as in futon) and/or via
application-specific programmatic rules - it doesn't cut. As far as the user
is concerned, updated documents vanish at random.

For now I will stick with unison, which at least tells me there are files
with conflicting updates and leaves the state at both ends unchanged.

IMO it's also a long way before couchdb becomes stable enough to become an
integral part of the desktop (by "stable" I mean "not constantly changing",
rather than "working properly")