From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Chance of including CouchDB in Linux distros or desktops?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 15:54:33 GMT
On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:44:58PM +0700, Jason Smith wrote:
> Alan Bell wrote:
>> Noah Slater wrote:
>>>  What actual problem would this solve?
>>>
>> well I think that is the discussion point. It certainly raises a few
>> interesting thoughts. One of the suggestions was a couchdb process per
>> user. Not quite sure about this one, sounds like it might not scale
>> well with multiple users. One database per user might well be handy. It
>> could perhaps replace the gconf database.
>
> Well, gconf has its own API and should probably be "up" even in bad
> situations like a full disk or when the OOM killer starts spraying
> bullets into the process space.

Oh man, that's such a great mental image.

Guess it helps when you've had to firefight OOM killer on production machines.

> (To play Devil's advocate, my argument could be made for MySQL too and
> we don't see that happening.  Some might say that it's just a bad idea,
> but I would still argue that Linux desktop developers are simply
> uncreative.)

I'm sure someone will disagree with me here, but I think that the problem stems
from the server/client model. While this architectural constraint is great for
distributed hypertext systems, which is what we're designing CouchDB for, it's
not so great when you're trying to re-purpose it for local use. That's the
difference between MySQL and SQLite.

If someone could adapt CouchDB into CouchLite or something similar...