From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: using mutliple cores for view computation
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:32:35 GMT

On 20 Mar 2009, at 06:34, Anand Chitipothu wrote:

> I have created a new couchdb database on a quad-core machine, loaded
> the database with 30 million documents and created a view.
>
> I accessed the view for the first time, to start the view computation.
> From whatever I can see from the output of top command, beam.smp is
> taking around 70% of cpu and couchjs around 30%.
>
> Shouldn't the view computation process use all the 4 cores for doing
> the computation?

Can you check iostat to see how fast data gets passed to the disk?
If we're saturating your write speed already, there's no need to go
multi process.

(I expect that we don't saturate the disk just yet, so yeah there's room
for improvement, but I don't think disk is fast enough for 4 cores
spitting
out data).

Cheers
Jan