From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bad performance when storing documents
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 23:37:13 GMT
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Sebastjan Trepca <trepca@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> downloaded latest version (0.8.1) and did some tests on it. GET's are
> fast, but POST's are pretty disappointing. I am using the default
> configuration on my Macbook Pro and it can process only 7
> POSTs/second. Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks,
> Sebastjan

1. Use _bulk_docs. The more docs you can load in a single request the
more improvement you'll get. This is a direct RAM/speed tradeoff.
2. Use trunk. There have been numerous speed improvements since 0.8.
You could also try the couchdb-devel port, but I'm not sure where it
exactly in terms of SVN revision. I'm 95% certain there have been a
few more patches that should improve speed since then.
3. Less importantly, but jchris would be upset if I didn't mention, if
you can use sorted docids when inserting you can squeeze out more
performance.

HTH,
Paul Davis

Also, what Chris says. If your erlang VM is 5.5.5 or there abouts
(check with `erl`) you're hitting a bug in erlang itself that's fixed
with the newer RC's that are recommended for use.