From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [user] Re: The Blog
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 16:12:50 GMT
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Wout Mertens <wmertens@cisco.com> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2009, at 3:57 PM, Noah Slater wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 09:51:18AM -0500, Adam Petty wrote:
>>>
>>> Could this thread be added to the wiki - with only minor editing for
>>> length
>>> - maybe as "a RDBMS vs couch 'Discussion' ?"  or something similar?"...
>>
>> We've learnt from the book that such comparisons tend to be harmful.
>>
>> They lead people into thinking that there is a direct meaningful
>> comparison.
>>
>> Fundamentally, CouchDB and RDMS solve different problems.
>
> I dunno, I think it would be interesting to compare the main benefits of
> each so that you know what the strong points of each are.
>
> For example, suppose you implement schema-free in an RDBMS by adding a text
> field that contains a JSON string. You still keep some of the metadata, like
> _rev and _id, in proper fields.

If you stuff a structured string into an RDBMS you're Doing It Wrong &trade;.

> However, thinking about that, it means you will need to re-implement
> everything CouchDB does, like views and replication.
>
> To be honest, I think saying RDBMS and CouchDB are for different solutions
> is just you guys being nice. I think that any application would benefit from
> using the CouchDB model and only in very specific, very demanding cases an
> RDBMS would be better. I can't think of any examples though.
>
> So here's my challenge to the mailing list, it's pretty much the same one
> that MrDonut posted: Give us an example of something that would be better be
> done with an RDBMS and something that would better be done with CouchDB.
>
> I'll help you: I think it would be easier to create a wiki with CouchDB than
> with an RDBMS. It is possible in both but CouchDB just makes it easier. I
> suppose we'd have to ask the http://couch.it guys to know if that's true.
>
> I don't know what would be done better in an RDBMS. Performance logging
> perhaps? Something with really stringent schema requirements?
>
> Wout.

Things that CouchDB is better at:

The interweb.

Things that an RDBMS is better at:

Huge amounts of business logic. As in the Oracle install running your
favorite hospital. Think along the lines of 10's and 100's of
thousands of lines of app logic in the DB itself.

HTH,
Paul Davis