From Ben Browning <ben...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB and clustering
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:04:40 GMT
I'm actively interested in getting two of the things you mentioned,
partitioning of data and a single view of the cluster, developed and
working. I haven't said much about the subject since the thread Jan
mentioned but I've been thinking a lot of things over in my head and
have an attack plan.

My first goal is to create an Erlang API which will probably be a
subset of the current HTTP API. I've seen this requested before on the
mailing list and believe this is a necessary first step to getting
partitioning support. After that I plan to tackle the actual
partitioning. I'll be doing all development in the following github
fork:

http://github.com/bbrowning/couchdb/tree/master

There are no changes there yet but you should start seeing code pop up
this week. At various points along the process I'll explicitly solicit
feedback from the devs and the rest of the community since my hope is
this code will eventually be used for partitioning in CouchDB proper.

I can't speak for the priority of this in the community, but it's the
only piece of Couch I'm currently working on and am planning to devote
at least 10-20 hours a week to it.

Ben