From Wout Mertens <wmert...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: Why sequential document ids? [was: Re: What's the speed(performance) of couchdb?]
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:44:20 GMT
On Feb 26, 2009, at 8:18 PM, Damien Katz wrote:
> Also, he Ids don't need to be sequential (1,2,3,4...), just ordered
> (1,5,19,22...). And they don't need to sort higher or lower than all
> the other ids, so long as they are clustered together.  The each
> btree nodes that have to be loaded that isn't in cache is expensive.
> The more the keys have to be inserted into random places in the
> btree, the worse the caching behavior. Right now, with the crypto
> random UUIDs we generate, it's basically the worst case scenario for
> doc inserts.

So why not decrease security by a tunable factor and add a random
number to the previous UUID instead?

And while we're on the subject, I've wished for automatic doc UUIDs
that nonetheless have a fixed prefix. More human readable plus it
doubles as a type field... Any chance of that or is that one of the
beginner mistakes?

Wout.