From Adam Petty <adamjpe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [user] Re: The Blog
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 15:55:25 GMT
Well -- Its sounds like couch is starting to be able to stand up to the
fire... which is why I'm digging this thread.

But yes - too much heat and the whole proprietary/RDBMS community could
start aiming bazooka's at it - which might do some damage.  So maybe some
middle ground somewhere..

I'll work on a compilation - and post it and see where the wiki takes it.  I
would have to agree that there is something to google's jedi strategy with
microsoft...

"nothing to see here... these aren't the droids you're looking for... of
course we're not competing with microsoft"

-- and can keep that in mind also

okay enough about that -

Just as a frame of reference... the only thing that has held couch back for
development at my work - has been the lack of a pluggable reporting tool.  I
know that is really just semantics - that Pentaho can use an XML dataset -
and JSON - XML translation seems easy BUT.... nothing out of the gate yet.
In my case - bosses love names -- SSRS, 10g, CrystalReports, Business
Objects..etc.

-- as for an example db issue...
For some reason -  without transactions the RDBMS people at my work seem to
not want to consider couch for anything having to do with money.

I know it would be fairly simple to have an "accounts" array field on a JSON
user-account document - that way no single "enities" account could be
changed by more than one write at the same time... seems rediculously simple
- but is there a case where this could fail?

Seems like money is always the most sensitive issue - if we could develop a
very usable "banking" example db secenario - maybe an artificial bank app?
and see if we can break it - or get out of sync balances due to timing
issues -- etc?

.02$