From Adam Petty <adamjpe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The Blog
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:51:18 GMT
Mr. Donut, Jan,Damien, others in the thread,

Just want to say thank you.

I'm being completely serious here.  I have to agree that in the beginning I
sensed hostility from Mr. Donut - but he was hitting on many questions I
knew there were answers for and after a few minutes could conceptualise -
but never had at the tip of my tongue to give to the other RDBMS guys in my
office when they rightfully grill me about using CouchDB for the next gen.
production environment.

Could this thread be added to the wiki - with only minor editing for length
- maybe as "a RDBMS vs couch 'Discussion' ?"  or something similar?"...

Mr. Donut - please continue.....

And Damien - I might be wrong but I believe the consistency Donut was
referring to the was maybe changing the type of data in a field on the back
end midway through the app lifecycle - or maybe through a bug in the
application.  Or conversly adding a field - which also would then be handled
through the business layer.  I would guess this would include refining a
view to include it if it needed to be searched on - and then correcting the
business layer to accomodate for either the new view - or the new key in the
view.
I was thinking this was a benefit but it did take a some redefinition of the
scope of a database for me to understand from the getgo. Also, it seems to
simplify the schema into truely being part of the business logic layer of an
applicaiton.  If the data needs an application to get to the database -
finally we can enforce that data integrity in only one place - but, Donut if
this isn't accurate, please reframe.

 (and I see Jan has answered in a similar and yet much more eloquent way
while I was typing this...)

-- Adam