From Mister Donut <lady.do...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The Blog
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:27:28 GMT
> I'm suspecting here
> that you assume that views are created on demand, based on user-input.

No, I understand.

> Totally generic object behaviour abstractions
> in SQL need something like 8 tables, there's no way this flies :)

No, I was talking about the "Stuffing" implementation. All it does is
adding a schema-free field to an existing database? I just don't see
what it has anything to do with CouchDB?

> How? (Assuming you have a use-case in mind, can you explain that?)

Again, about the "Stuffing". It doesn't handle the lack of immediate
consistency. This is just what I seem to observe here. Everyone
praises the schema-free and JSON, but noone keeps the *eventual*
consistency in mind?

> Again, can you wrap that into a concrete example, I don't quite get what
> that mini-RDBMS is and how your understanding of replication ties
> into that :)

You have to deal with the *eventual* consistency in your applications
don't you? And isn't that incredibly hard and expensive? I mean just
think about the end user, when he might put something in CouchDB, but
not immediatly see it, in fact, it might be gone for a very long time.
What interactive application can work with that?

> I have another contract about to start for a server app where all the
> data is maintained on the client's desktop, previewed with full
> functionality, and then replicated to an EC2 instance. This can be
> done with traditional databases, but it's trivial with CouchDB,

Well, this is trivial with all databases? Just import and export. It's
just copying a file. Now imagine two users working on the data. Yes,
you have replication built in, so no data gets lost. But you still
need to figure out all the merging? Hum.