From Mister Donut <lady.do...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The Blog
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 11:38:38 GMT
> It be easier to follow your thoughts, if you would take the time
> to formulate them in complete sentences. Your offensive tone
> doesn't help either.

I don't know where I am being offensive, but I don't like when people
just assume that I stupid or haven't done my research. Because, yes, I
have searched for pagination, and yes, I have read the Wiki, and yes,
I realize that CouchDB isn't a RDBMS, and no, I am not trying to put
my RDBMS ideas into CouchDB. And this isn't mean offensive, but rather
to show you that I really tried, to my best knowledge. I know what
MapReduce is. I know what Key/Value pairs are. I know how CouchDB puts
them together (the idea, I am not an Erland hacker).

> limit is documented to be slow and should not be used to
> implement paging. That's what startkey and endkey are
> for and the mailing list archives show you how that is done.
> Which is not the only solution to pagination.

Startkey and Endkey allow you to implement "Back" and "Forward". I
wrote that. They do not allow you to jump directly somewhere. For
that, you'd somehow need to store start- and endkeys, but the nature
of CouchDB doesn't allow you to. Unless I am missing a point. Amazon
SimpleDB, and Google WebApps (sp?) suffer from the same problem, if
you read their forums. Basically they tell you: "Well, it doesn't
work".

> See CAP*, RDBMSs pick consistency and availability where CouchDB
> picks availability and partitionability.
> * Consistency, Availability, Partitioning, pick two.

I know, as I said, I read the book. Not trying to be offensive.
What application benefits from picking Partitionability and
Availability? And can work with a lack of Consistency?
You cannot store any kind of counters, or duplicate data, basically
anything that needs to be the same as something else.

> If you try to find 1:1 mappings of solutions from the RDBMS world
> to CouchDB, you must conclude that CouchDB sucks. But that
> doesn't mean that CouchDB sucks.

What I am trying to find, is an example, that, by using CouchDB,
offers an unique solution.
All examples of CouchDB I have seen so far, are either so simple, they
don't show what CouchDB is all about (probably the author doesn't get
it, not trying to be offensive, but posts like "10 Reasons Why CouchDB
Is Better Than (Random RDBMS)"... well.) or they try to solve a
problem that has already been solved by RDBMS.

Availability (well, yeah, I don't know what to say).
Partitionability:
The Replication feature is really interesting. It is intriguing. It
makes me want to make something with. But I just cannot find anything
that could "exploit" this very feature.