From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is it possible to replace SpiderMonkey?
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:46:27 GMT
Hi Jens,

On 26 Feb 2009, at 18:34, Jens Alfke wrote:

> How hard would it be to plug a different JavaScript engine into
> CouchDB? Nothing against SpiderMonkey, but the new generation of JS
> engines are a whole lot faster. I've got Google's V8 built as a
> command-line tool; would it be possible to use it in CouchDB?

I tried TraceMonkey when it came out and it was not too hard to swap
out.

> (I'm not even sure whether CouchDB runs any JS in-process or
> outsources it all to an external process.)

It's all external.

See your default.ini file:

[query_servers]
javascript = /path/to/couchjs /path/to/couchdb/server/main.js

You need a binary that can run main.js and place it into the above
directive.

That's it.

Let us know what you find out! :)

Cheers