From Robert Newson <>
Subject Re: Sphinx and CouchDB Views
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:28:10 GMT

I'm mostly stuck on the "JSON meets Rhino" part. I have tried for a
while to grok it, and it's not coming. Specifically, I want to fetch
the document from couchdb (as JSON, obviously) and then pass it to a
user-defined function written in Javascript, and then index the return
value. This will allow custom filtering.

Additionally, I can index the output of views fairly easily, Paul's
original couchdb-lucene did that, so I could pinch from there.

I suspect all three kinds of indexing are useful including the current
index-everything approach.

I'm swamped with 'real' work right now which is why progress has
slowed. One notable change is that it compiles under 1.5 for those OS
X users out there.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Adam Groves <> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Paul. I'm closely watching Robert's repo too and
> have taken it for a spin.
> I use views to filter my data (no surprises there) and need in
> addition to be able to search these filtered results.
> Cheers
> Adam
> 2009/2/24 Paul Davis <>:
>> I've spent alot of time looking through various approaches at FTI. The
>> biggest problem with Sphinx is that it requires you to provide a
>> unique 32 or 64bit integer as a document id. The impedance mismatch
>> with CouchDB's arbitrary string document id's has provided a bit of a
>> blocker for full on integration with Sphinx in the arbitrary case.
>> I've got entirely too many different attempts for full text indexing
>> on github [1], but the real one to keep an eye on is probably Robert
>> Newson's fork of my CouchDB-Lucene [2] branch. He's taken it quite a
>> long way and as soon as he's integrated Rhino I'm gonna close up all
>> of my rather half baked attempts.
>> HTH,
>> Paul Davis
>> [1]
>> [2]
>> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Adam Groves <> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I read somewhere on the mailing list that Sphinx could be used to
>>> provide fti for couchdb views. Has anyone implemented this? Would you
>>> recommend it? Care to share some details? :)
>>> Cheers
>>> Adam

View raw message