From Rhett Garber <rhe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: designing a GIS app using couchdb
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:35:34 GMT
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Martin Sarsale
<martin@malditainternet.com> wrote:
> Now, I'm not too sure what is the natural id of the Place documents:
> the place name is an option, but probably there's going to be more
> than one place with the same name. Any hints?

I'm a little biased, and this has nothing to do with couchdb,
but I might recommend using the Yelp API for your businesses. If you
use the Phone number API
(http://www.yelp.com/developers/documentation/phone_api) you can a lot
of good 'place' metadata as well
as a unique id.

> PD: bonus question, I'm planning to use Python and Django for the app,
> what's the recommended couchdb module for py?

The couchdb python library (http://code.google.com/p/couchdb-python/)
seems to best from my perspective (not django).
 Some of the others do more ORM type stuff for you, which might be
more useful for django I dunno.