From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Progress of view generation
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:58:51 GMT
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Chris Wagner
<christopher.t.wagner@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 11:22 -0800, Chris Anderson wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Chris Wagner
>> <christopher.t.wagner@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > FYI, this ended up taking a matter of days.  I believe I was generating
>> > two views at once, though.  I'm uncertain whether a third view that I
>> > have (in the same design document) was also being generated, however.
>> > My view file is approximately 1.25 times the size of the database file.
>>
>> all views in a design doc are generated in a single batch. This makes
>> for less IO overhead to the Javascript process, as well as bulk
>> operations to couchdb's on disk btrees.
>
> Does that mean that *all views* must be regenerated upon every change to
> a design doc?

All views in a design doc are bound together as a group. If any of the
group are invalidated, all must be rebuilt. That's not to say that all
updates to a design doc will invalidate a view. Generally anything
that doesn't affect the "views" and "language" members should be fine.

HTH,
Paul Davis