From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: drill into a doc with a GET?
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 05:30:38 GMT

On 08/01/2009, at 3:38 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

>> I was hoping for a way to drill into a hierarchy of a known
>> document and
>> grab what I want however deep it might be from a GET (next, I will
>> ask for
>> PUT and DELETE :) ).
>>

> Partial PUT and DELETE won't ever make it in directly (AFAIK). There
> are a couple mailing list threads debating the entire issue of partial
> updates. If there's a development in the JSON community as a whole for
> a diff format, then the last talk was that there would probably be
> pretty quick support for a PATCH verb.

The PMC's position is that partial updates (diff == patch) will only
be adopted once there is an RFC for json diffs. The process of getting
an RFC is long and tedious, for good reason.

Noah has setup a group for a json diff RFC here: http://groups.google.com/group/json-id
. So far the final position seems to be that he and I have agreed to
disagree about some philosophical points, and he's waiting for me to
draft a RFC - but anyone can drive that as they wish. I have much more
important issues with Couch that I want to push before that (global
references to immutable values, unrestricted db/view names), and
partial updates don't have any backwards-compatible issues, so I'm not
working on it.

Robert, maybe you could push the RFC?

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

It's amazing that the one side of the conversation that survived is "I
don't know art, but I know what I like". The reply from the artist was
"Madam, so does a cow".
   -- Carl Kirkendall