From Glenn Rempe <gl...@rempe.us>
Subject JS Test Errors with Apache virtual host + reverse proxy + couchdb
Date Wed, 21 Jan 2009 00:31:07 GMT
Hi,

I am experimenting with CouchDB and wanted to setup a virtual host and
reverse proxy in my apache server that would expose couchdb to the
net, and allow me to easily add apache basic auth on top (with the
hope that some couchdb ruby clients support basic auth).

However, when I set this up I discovered that many of the futon JS
tests fail when run on the proxied url, but all pass when hitting the
same exact couchdb install via a direct url.

I did not see anything about this in the bug Jira.  On initial
examination this appears to be related to url escaping in the js tests.

You can try it out for yourself if you like by visiting my currently
exposed couchdb instance here:

FAIL (10 error, 3 fail):
http://couchdb.rempe.org/_utils/couch_tests.html?script/couch_tests.js

PASS:
http://couchdb.rempe.org:5984/_utils/couch_tests.html?script/couch_tests.js

Here is the reverse proxy config for Apache that is in use:

http://gist.github.com/49756

QUESTIONS:

- Is this simply a problem with the JS test runner?  Or does this
represent an actual failure in the server?
- Is there an improved reverse proxy config that would eliminate this
(Please feel free to fork the Gist and issue me a pull request)?
- Is there a config available now in the native couchdb web server
that would let me force basic auth?  I saw some posts related to this
but I have not seen any config info.

I have built and installed couchdb from repository source, so if any
commits are made to fix I would be happy to pull them and test.

Thanks all.

Glenn

--
Glenn Rempe