From "Chris Van Pelt" <vanp...@gmail.com>
Subject Couch processes...
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2009 21:29:32 GMT
I recently upgraded to trunk and now my DB is misbehaving.  It's
having trouble generating my view.  I'm wondering if there is a good
way to figure out where Couch is spending all of it's time.

Upon requesting the view, I see a couchjs process fired off, and than
my beam.smp process starts to pick up steam.  The beam.smp process
sits around 100% CPU and slowly grows in memory consumption.  couchjs
process chills at around 8% CPU, often times another couchjs process
is fired off as well.  Both of these processes tend to slowly decrease
in resource consumption.  I looked in my .dbname view directory and
noticed that the view file grows in size initially to about 14MB, then
beam.smp sits at 100% CPU for 15-20 minutes before the view files
changes in size.

Since updating to trunk the view seems to never finish rendering.  I
have 9000 documents and 8.1 was rendering it slowly, but it was able
to render it.  I just rewrote my mapReduce to look more like a
mapCombine and tried to regenerate the view.  It's been 30 minutes,
the view file is still at 14MB, nothing has been written to the log, I
have 2 couchjs process at about 5% CPU and the beam.smp process is at
85%.

Is there a good way to debug this?  One other interesting thing I
noticed was the couchdb executable actually launching two identical
processes...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris